Saturday, January 22, 2011

Play it loud enough, it'll keep the demons away

The following is a list of songs that I love. They’re those songs that no matter how many albums you have on your ipod, you always come back too. I’m not claiming that they’re all fabulously skillful pieces of music (I don’t know enough about music to argue for their complexity or skill level)...I’m just saying that they all touch me every single time I listen to them. They’re those songs that you actually stop what you’re doing and pay attention to.


In no particular order...



Needed You Tonight- Ben Harper and The Innocent Criminals


The whole song captures me but particularly Ben letting loose on “violin is my instrument of choice, it recognizes the paaaaaaaaaain in my voice” gives me goosebumps every time. (Arguably one of Harper’s best albums, in case you were wondering).


Honey Bee- Tom Petty


This song is just gritty and dirty and I love it. I particularly love Tom Petty at the beginning “alright here we go...this is a little number called give me some sugar little honey, natural, bee”. This song just makes you wanna grind up on the nearest human being. Not to mention, Petty may be old as dirt but the guy still rocks it out at his concerts, some of the best shows I’ve ever seen.


Narcolepsy- Third Eye Blind


So, yeah, I’m a 3EB junkie and this is one of my favorites. I particularly love “I read dead Russian authors volumes at a time. I write everything down except what’s on my mind” I particularly love when they break it down to half time towards the end.


Piano Man-Billy Joel


The reason I love this song is because A. it’s awesome and B. you can be in a bar anywhere in the world and turn this song on and everyone will start singing. Some of my favorite moments have been surrounded by friends and strangers a lil’ drunk and belting out this tune. “Yes they’re sharing a drink they called loneliness, but it’s better than drinking alone.”


Rosalita- Bruce Springsteen


One of my fav’s...I just love this song. It’s upbeat and it’s The Boss, what’s not to love?

My favorite part... “Well tell him this is last chance to get, his daughter in a fine romance, because the record company Rosie, just gave me a big advance! And my tires were slashed and I almost crashed but the Lord have mercy..and my machine she’s a dud, I’m stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of Jersey.” Plus he was 23 when he wrote this album...what am I doing with my life?



Hour Follows Hour- Ani DiFranco


I think Ani D is an excellent lyricist and this song really show it. It’s beautiful. I love the whole song but the part that really grabs me is “We can only hold so much is what I figure, try and keep our eye on the big picture, the picture keeps getting bigger. Too much is how I love you, but too well is how I know you and I’ve got nothing to prove this time only something to show you. I guess I just wanted you to see, that it was all worth it to me.”


Rain King (Live)-Counting Crows


One of their best recordings. This song is perfect and the transition to the Thunder Road cover is seamless.



James Taylor-Fire and Rain


gorgeous song. some of the best lyrics ever written.




Anyone wanna shout out any songs that hit them like a ton of bricks?


1 comment:

  1. Straylight Run - Existentialism on a Prom Night

    It is a great pick me up song that always brings my spirit straight to the roof. "Sing like you think, no ones listening. You would kill for this, just a little bit..." Also has an awesome video that goes along with it.

    ReplyDelete